© 2019 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
Invest confidently through buy-side due diligence
Adding to your private equity portfolio? Unmask the right deal.
Making the right acquisition at the right price is critical in today’s complex and competitive deal-making environment. If hasty decisions are made to buy without completing overall business, technology, financial and operations assessments, the transaction may be delayed or systemic problems may not be uncovered until post transaction, causing business disruptions, stresses on your existing portfolio businesses and financial losses. Or, worse yet, the targeted business may not be valued appropriately due to undisclosed issues pre-sale. Finding that out after the deal has been executed could not only be challenging, but harmful to your overall future business.
To minimize transaction risk, employ a fully integrated buy-side due diligence process that includes financial, tax and operational due diligence. This integrated approach can help you understand your risks and opportunities so you can make an informed decision about how and whether to proceed with the deal while protecting your interests.
Specifically, the process unmasks and assesses the following areas about the targeted business:
- Earnings and cash flow quality
- Assets and liabilities quality
- Internal control weaknesses related to systems and personnel
- Deal structure from a tax perspective
- Federal, state and local tax compliance risks and issues
- IT infrastructure and system issues and future cost savings and requirements
- Financial projections
- Purchase agreement details and alignment
- Risks and costs associated with complex transactions like carve-outs and add-on acquisitions
Understanding the above allows you to weigh transaction price and terms as well as the future of the targeted business. Other advantages of an integrated buy-side due diligence strategy include:
- Gained insights about risks and opportunities to address pre- and post-transaction
- Efficient transaction speed, and in some cases, accelerated transaction close
- Maximized organizational and operational efficiencies in add-on integration
- Minimized transitional service agreement cost burdens for carve outs
- Reassurance of day-one readiness with seamless resources support
- Efficient management adaption to private equity ownership
Buy-side due diligence allows you to analyze and validate critical financial, operational and strategic aspects of the deal, making it easier for you to structure and negotiate a favorable transaction that’s right for your overall portfolio.
You may also be interested in:
Stonewall Kitchen president and chief operating officer discusses the role mergers and acquisitions play in their growth strategy.
IPOs surge as valuation fatigue sets in: A panel of private equity deal experts discuss the trends behind the Q2 2019 numbers and outcomes.
Sellers are able to command top dollar if they go into the sales process ready to hit the ground running which includes tax preparation.
With strong dealmaking in Q1 2019, a panel of private equity deal experts discuss the trends behind the numbers and outcomes.
Get yourself up to speed on the latest trends in private equity and mergers and acquisitions with the Q1 2019 Technology Industry Spotlight.
2018 was great for venture capital. From funding to financing, the 2018 VC trend summary offers insights and analysis behind the numbers.
A panel of private equity deal experts discuss the trends behind the deal statistics and outcomes from a record setting 2018.
Examine PE deals, M&A trends and the economic implications of both in the newly released 2018 Annual Technology Industry Spotlight.
Examine PE deals, M&A trends and the economic implications of both in the newly released 2018 Annual HC & LS Industry Spotlight.
Examine private equity deals, M&A trends and the economic implications of both in the newly released 2018 Annual CP Industry Spotlight.