© 2019 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
Global Expansion Advisory Services
Advising companies on global expansion, relocation or consolidation
RSM’s global expansion advisory services team advises clients on the details of engaging in a successful expansion, relocation or consolidation of global operations. Our seasoned professionals guide business leaders through decision-making, prioritization and execution of a company’s global expansion plans.
We take a phased approach to working with clients considering expansion into new global markets by focusing on strategic investment, acquisition planning, talent and resource considerations, and geopolitical changes.
From planning to implementation, our team can help business leaders with a variety of services, including:
- Assessment of global strategy
- Business case and location study design
- Location studies
- Operating model design
- Application and infrastructure design
- Centralized project management and implementation
We start with a strategic planning session to gain an understanding of needs and decision criteria, followed by a study of weighted expansion opportunities; along the way, we benchmark options through qualitative and quantitative factors. Our audit, tax and business consulting services address a range of issues, including:
- Making the business case. Formulating expansion, relocation or consolidation decisions requires quantifying and benchmarking as well as analyzing one-time versus recurring costs, and evaluating and forecasting return on investment in new geographies. We take time to help build a business case with realistic estimates of labor, logistics, incentives and taxes, and to capture often unanticipated costs in new markets.
- Selecting a location. Evaluating and narrowing down location options requires establishing a set of local requirements that must be researched, analyzed and benchmarked.
- Validating findings. With a narrowed set of options, conducting site visits and meeting with local industry customers, suppliers, real estate providers and recruiting advisors validates and refines the proposed business model.
- Developing a road map. Creating an implementation plan and considering relevant companywide impact on people, process and technology is also important, and includes mapping out key processes, identifying activities to be done locally versus elsewhere. Other steps include finalizing operating models by key functions, setting a go-live date, determining the design and transition activities to achieve it, and determining delivery and training and monitoring post go-live.
- Centralized project management. This involves integrating strategy, tax, real estate, supply chain and implementation services through unified project management to ensure seamless collaboration and speed project delivery.
MOST RECENT GLOBAL EXPANSION INSIGHTS
Entering a new market requires planning, patience and attention to detail. Manufacturers have a few candid insights to share.
Manufacturing executives candidly discuss the opportunities and challenges of operating on an international scale.
There are challenges manufacturers face when operating globally, but upfront planning can save companies time, money and headaches.
Organizations with operations in multiple countries face challenges ranging from geographic, administrative and compliance concerns.
Statutory audits are vital to global compliance. Give them the attention they deserve and you can gain real benefits for your company.